Nigeria has been devastated by Boko Haram, which has forced thousands of people to flee their homes, kidnapped hundreds of people, and killed thousands of others.
But the Nigerian government has said that a military operation is not required, given the country’s fragile economy and its relatively small size.
Nigeria is not a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Law of Armed Conflict, but it is part of a bloc of African countries which are currently involved in the U.S.-led military campaign against Boko Haram.
The United States has been providing military support to Nigerian troops since April.
Since then, it has delivered humanitarian assistance, sent more than $500 million in military equipment and military trainers to the country, and provided nearly $300 million in funding to help the Nigerian military counter Boko Haram’s rise.
The president of Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency, David Ivo, has said the country can handle the Boko Haram threat without the United States, and has said he will continue to provide the military with training and equipment.
But with the economy in shambles and the government struggling to rebuild after the deaths of thousands of citizens, the Nigerian people are unlikely to accept military intervention.
The United States and the European Union have already provided some $1.5 billion in aid to Nigeria, including some $300,000 to the military and more than 2,000 personnel.
But those funds are limited, and there is no guarantee that the money will be sufficient to help Nigeria’s government in its fight against Boko Hara.
In the meantime, Nigeria is still struggling with the loss of its oil reserves, which are in decline.
And the country faces growing competition from oil-rich nations such as Saudi Arabia and Algeria.
Nigeria’s oil production is already at its lowest level since 2006, when the country was invaded by the Islamist group.
Nigeria, which was the only country in the region that had a functioning oil industry in the 1970s and 1980s, is now struggling to survive amid an economic collapse.
Many people in Nigeria have been displaced by the Boko Haras brutal campaign, and millions are hungry.
According to Nigeria’s Oil Minister, Buhari, some 4.5 million people have fled their homes and some 4 million people are without access to food, according to an International Monetary Fund report.
As of July, nearly one million people in the country were in shelters or on the streets.
In July, the UN Security Council condemned the “horrific and inhumane” killing of at least 40 people in an attack by Boko Harans on a mosque in the northeast city of Maiduguri.
But a UN report released on July 17 found that the perpetrators had no links to Boko Haram or to the Islamic State (IS).